RFQ/BOM 0 Sign In / Register

Select Your Location

TSMC wins top spot in chip maker market value TSMC stated that it will not supply Huawei after two months.

Published :7/17/2020 7:38:32 AM

Click Count:2103

TSMC said on Thursday that due to strong orders for advanced process chips, quarterly net profit surged 81% to a record level. TSMC announced that its net profit for April to June was NT$ 120.8 billion (US$ 4.1 billion), and revenue for the quarter rose 34.1% to US$ 10.38 billion, between the company’s previous estimates of US$ 10.1 billion and US$ 10.4 billion.

According to the manufacturing process, TSMC's second-quarter shipments of 7-nanometer chips accounted for 36% of total wafer revenue, and 16-nanometer chips accounted for 18%. Advanced technology, defined as 16 nanometers and more advanced technologies, accounts for 54% of total wafer revenue. In terms of technology applications, in addition to the 12% increase in high-performance computing, others such as smartphones, the Internet of Things, automotive electronics, and consumer electronics have declined to varying degrees.

TSMC's stock price has risen by about 10% this year, bringing its market value to US$320 billion, surpassing US competitor Intel's INTC.O by US$249 billion. TSMC shares fell 1.5% on Thursday, underperforming the broader market. TWII fell 0.4%.

According to data from market research agency Trendforce, TSMC is the world's largest chip foundry with a market share of 51.9%.

In addition, TSMC stated at a corporate briefing on July 16 that its 3nm process is expected to be mass-produced in 2021 and mass production in the second half of 2022. 3nm will bring 70% density increase and 10%-15 compared to 5nm process. % Rate gain and 20-25% power boost.

When referring to Huawei’s impact on TSMC’s business, a TSMC spokesperson said: “TSMC will fully comply with all regulations and will not accept any related new orders. Although it is still too early to say, from the current situation, September 14th It will not plan to ship wafers for Huawei, which will be a big challenge for the company's cooperation with other customers. We are working hard to fill the vacancies and it is going smoothly."