RFQ/BOM 0 Sign In / Register

Select Your Location

Samsung Electronics will provide 5G equipment to Japan's largest mobile operator.

Published :3/23/2021 2:50:49 AM

Click Count:2103

In the morning news on March 23, Samsung Electronics said on the 23rd that it had recently signed a fifth-generation mobile communications (5G) equipment supply contract with NTTDOCOMO, Japan’s largest mobile communications operator. This is the first time Samsung Electronics has provided mobile communication equipment to NTTDOCOMO. According to the contract, Samsung Electronics will provide NTTDOCOMO with radio units (RadioUnit) required for 5G network construction and support the construction of 5G networks. It is reported that NTTDOCOMO will provide 5G services from March 2020, and the number of users as of December 2020 is approximately 82 million.


It is understood that NTT currently holds approximately 66% of NTT Docomo's equity. This time it is planned to use 4 trillion yuan to buy the remaining 34% of the equity to achieve 100% control of NTT Docomo. NTT Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Company, formerly Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation established in 1952. NTT was formally established in 1976 and is Japan's largest telecommunications service provider. In the world's telecommunications industry, NTT's business revenue and asset scale also once occupied the first place, and it was a leading company in the global telecommunications industry.

It is understood that NTT includes East Japan Telecom and Telephone Co., Ltd., West Japan Telecom and Telephone Co., Ltd., Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Communication Company, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Data Company and the planned acquisition of NTT Docomo, and its business is very extensive and comprehensive. NTT has branches in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and the Americas, providing communication services to more than 200 countries and regions around the world.

NTTDocomo was established in 1992 and is a telecommunications operating company mainly engaged in mobile phone business. NTTDocomo has maintained its number one position in the Japanese market for many years. For example, NTTDocomo has provided voice and data communication services to more than 50 million users in Japan. It once occupied 63% of the Japanese mobile phone business market. . In recent years, with the rise of other giants, NTT Docomo's market share has declined. However, data released by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications of Japan shows that as of the end of June 2020, NTT Docomo's share of the Japanese mobile communications market is 37%, still ranking first.

In addition, NTT Docomo is also Japan's leader in technological innovation. In 2001, NTT Docomo launched FOMA, the world's first 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. As early as 2004, NTT Docomo launched an electronic wallet service called "Osaifu-Keitai". When Apple released ApplePay in 2014, there were more than 33 million mobile phones equipped with Osaifu-Keitai.

Samsung Electronics has won a contract for the supply of 5G network equipment from Japanese mobile operator NTT Docomo Inc., and Samsung has positioned itself as a challenger in the telecommunications equipment business. Samsung is trying to challenge the 5G mobile network equipment industry dominated by China's Huawei, Sweden's Ericsson and Finland's Nokia.

Samsung won a US$6.6 billion 5G contract from Verizon in the United States to replace Nokia, thus greatly enhancing its position in the industry. It won a contract from Canada’s SaskTel earlier this month and is still negotiating with European telecom operators to try to gain a foothold in Europe. Stefan Pongratz, vice president of research company Dell'Oro, said: "This news strengthens Samsung's position as a major supplier of 5GRAN."